How to back up the existing music on an iPod

MP3 players or iPods or all the other devices
rejectconvenience
https://pl.pinterest.com/kuchnie_na_wymiar_warszawa/

How to back up the existing music on an iPod

Post by rejectconvenience »

Let's say you just found an old iPod sitting around. If there is music on it, I would HIGHLY encourage you back it up before doing anything so you don't loose that data (even more so if the hard drive is dying and you want to replace it or flashmod it). I've have never found solid documentation on how to properly do this (for free, don't waste your time with those "iPod backup tools" that cost like $20), so here I've documented how to do it depending on what OS you are using.

Note: There will likely be music on the iPod that was purchased through iTunes. In many cases, those songs will be locked with DRM, and cannot be used (unless you have access to that original iTunes account, which I will add instructions to the bottom of this post on how to remove the DRM from those songs the legal way). Fortunately, the files that are locked are generally the same file type (from what I've found) .m4p. Because of this, it's pretty easy to run a script to filter those ones out when importing them to iTunes (if that's the software route you decide to take).

Linux
  • Plug in the iPod
  • Mount the iPod if it doesn't automatically
  • The folder we are looking for is hidden. It will be contained in the root directory of the iPod drive. In this case, we are assuming the iPod name is IPOD_DRIVE and is mounted in /mnt/:
    /mnt/IPOD_DRIVE/iPod_Control/Music
  • Copy the contents of the /Music/ directory to a location of your choice.

Note: The files names will be random looking, and will not reflect the actual song titles (AKNK.mp3 for example). The song information is contained within the metadata, so it can normally be renamed automatically using a tool like FileBot (which is a paid program, but it honestly works really well in cases like this, and I believe is worth it if you plan on renaming these files). You can also leave the files as they are, but just be aware that if you plan on using RockBox, you may encounter some issues (I'm not sure if RockBox accounts for the metadata, I'd assume it does, though).
macOS
  • Plug in the iPod
  • The iPod will appear as a disk, named the same name as the iPod. Open the disk in Finder.
  • The folder we are looking for is hidden. To show hidden files, press 'Command' + 'Shift' + '.' (the period key) at the same time. When you can see the hidden files, navigate to the following:
    /iPod_Control/Music
  • Copy the contents of the /Music/ directory to a location of your choice. If you plan on using iTunes, put the files in a different directory to deal with files that might be DRM locked first. You can do this step within iTunes, but it's kind of a pain in the butt.

Note: The files names will be random looking, and will not reflect the actual song titles (AKNK.mp3 for example). The song information is contained within the metadata, so it will import into iTunes correctly. If you want to rename all the files, I recommend a tool called FileBot, which is a paid tool, but works really well if you need to rename a ton of files.
Windows
I do not have a Windows computer to test this process on - this is just my assumption, please feel free to correct me and I will update it accordingly!
  • Plug in the iPod
  • The iPod will appear as a disk, named the same name as the iPod. Open the disk in File Explorer.
  • The folder we are looking for is hidden. To show hidden files, follow this guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... Windows_11. When you can see the hidden files, navigate to the following:
    \iPod_Control\Music
  • Copy the contents of the \Music\ directory to a location of your choice. If you plan on using iTunes, put the files in a different directory to deal with files that might be DRM locked first. You can do this step within iTunes, but it's kind of a pain in the butt.

Note: The files names will be random looking, and will not reflect the actual song titles (AKNK.mp3 for example). The song information is contained within the metadata, so it will import into iTunes correctly. If you want to rename all the files, I recommend a tool called FileBot, which is a paid tool, but works really well if you need to rename a ton of files.

When you have copied the music files
In the cases of using iTunes/Music to re-import this music, I highly recommend the following (Windows/macOS only):
  • Quit iTunes/Music
  • Navigate to the music folder on your computer (the path structure is the same in Windows and macOS)
    iTunes: /Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes/
    Music: /Music/Music/Media/Automatically Add to Music/
  • Copy the contents to this automatically Add" directory. You can include folders, it will parse those automatically.
  • When the copy is done, open iTunes/Music, and it will start moving things around for you!

If you have DRM files but you know the iTunes account
I am not 100% sure if the requires iTunes Match or not. I pay for this feature, so I'm not able to test this process without it. If it does, you can sign up for it here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/108935
  • Sign into the iTunes account, authorize the computer (this varies in almost every version, just search menus for that option)
  • Right click the song(s) you want to remove the DRM from
  • Select "Create AAC version"
    Note: This will create a duplicate version of the song, so you will have to clean up the old versions
If you have DRM files but you don't know the iTunes account
  • There is nothing you can do - these files are useless. Consider buying them or pirating them, I don't care when it comes to this process.
Be kind and patient with each other!
YouTube SpaceHey NeoCities Regular Website
MikeGs

Re: How to back up the existing music on an iPod

Post by MikeGs »

That's a very complete guide! Thanks! I might try Rockbox in the future so I don't have to go through all that process in case I delete my local copy ='')
Stefen_Maxwell

Post by Stefen_Maxwell »

MikeGs wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:16 pm That's a very complete guide! Thanks! I might try Rockbox in the future so I don't have to go through all that process in case I delete my local copy ='')
I have to have rockbox on my mini since I am running linux and don't have easy access to itunes. I had to ask my partner to restore my ipod when I flashed modded my mini.
MikeGs

Post by MikeGs »

Stefen_Maxwell wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:12 am I have to have rockbox on my mini since I am running linux and don't have easy access to itunes. I had to ask my partner to restore my ipod when I flashed modded my mini.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Soon I'll be installing Debian on my main machine. I'll make sure to flash Rockbox on my classic ^^
Stefen_Maxwell

Post by Stefen_Maxwell »

MikeGs wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:18 pm
Stefen_Maxwell wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:12 am I have to have rockbox on my mini since I am running linux and don't have easy access to itunes. I had to ask my partner to restore my ipod when I flashed modded my mini.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Soon I'll be installing Debian on my main machine. I'll make sure to flash Rockbox on my classic ^^
I have finally found a way to transfer music to my ipod mini with the stock OS. I am using a strawberry ppa that was built with an open source ipod library. Here is the link if you want to install it and use it on debian.
MikeGs

Post by MikeGs »

Stefen_Maxwell wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:57 pm I have finally found a way to transfer music to my ipod mini with the stock OS. I am using a strawberry ppa that was built with an open source ipod library. Here is the link if you want to install it and use it on debian.
Awesome! Thank you so much!
Linkard

Post by Linkard »

Thank you for the very clear and helpful guide ! This is gonna be very helpful for the Ipod I just came in possession of
Image Image Image
Stefen_Maxwell

Post by Stefen_Maxwell »

Linkard wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:28 pm Thank you for the very clear and helpful guide ! This is gonna be very helpful for the Ipod I just came in possession of
What did you get?